A Community For Peace established as the second mission:
Changing the conditions which caused the issue, the early intervention of learned behaviors will better result in more empowered children, who in turn will become far more empowered adults.
We intervene by creating safe spaces for children through our daily therapeutic play care and our newly opened trauma-informed preschool for children exposed to domestic violence, called Next Generations. Our brain-based approach to learning helps to soothe, model self-regulation in calm, nurturing learning community.
IMPACT ON KIDS: Children impacted by domestic violence may display the following.
- Headaches, stomach aches.
- Sleeplessness, fears of going to sleep, nightmares, dreams of danger.
- Anxiety about being hurt or killed.
- Hyper-vigilant about danger.
- Fighting with, or hurting other kids or animals.
- Feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- Temper tantrums, withdrawal from other people and activities
- Substance abuse, suicide attempts
- Fear of going to school or fear of being separated from mother.
- Truancy, stealing, frozen watchfulness.
- Acting perfect, over-achieving, behaving like little adults.
- Difficulty concentrating and paying attention.
- Bed-wetting or regression to earlier stages of development.
IMPACT ON CHILDREN
Through Our Eyes: Children, Violence, and Trauma